Using an Amsler Grid
The Amsler Grid is a very useful tool that you can use to self-monitor your dry macular degeneration for symptoms of early conversion to wet macular degeneration.
This is what an Amsler grid looks like:
To use the Amsler grid, first put on your reading glasses, and hold the grid at arms length away from you with one hand. Use the other hand to cover one eye, so that you test one eye at a time.
- Look at the centre dot with the uncovered eye
- Whilst looking at the dot, note whether the surrounding lines of the grid are straight and present.
- Note if there are any:
- Dark or missing patches on the grid
- Distorted, bent or wavy lines on the grid
- New blurry areas on the grid
If you note any of these changes, contact DrThen’s clinic immediately, and you will be given an appointment either on the same day, or at the latest, the day after, to be reviewed. Time is of the essence if your visual symptoms represent the early signs of wet macula degeneration.